Q-What are the various methods the college uses to notify the campus in the event of an emergency?
A-SUNY New Paltz utilizes six different methods to notify the campus in the event of an emergency. They are;
- NP Alert. NP Alert utilizes text messages, emails and automated phone calls. Click here for additional information.
- Outdoor speaker array. The college has an outdoor mass notification system which broadcasts emergency voice messages across a series of speakers. Currently these emergency broadcasts are simulcast in the following buildings: Shawangunk Hall, Ridgeview Hall, Sojourner Truth Library, Peregrine Dining Hall, Service Building, Engineering Innovation Hub, Science Hall, and Minnewaska Hall. This system is also being integrated into new construction and renovation projects throughout the campus.
- Telephone alert system. The college's new VoIP phone system can also broadcast emergency voice and text messages to all users.
- Scrolling marquees. Scrolling marquees have been installed in every residence hall and other "high foot traffic" areas. These units will broadcast an emergency message via scrolling text and audio.
- Digital signage. Large screen digital signage (TVs) have been installed throughout the campus and can be remotely activated to display emergency messages.
- Website homepage message. In the event of an emergency, information will be visible on the top portion of the www.planseeds.net website.